The Little Rock Zoo

.The Little Rock Zoo needs to step up and care for the animals better! Please read the several artciles here with deaths, sickness and a bald chimp!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chimpanzees are Clever

Chimpanzees are clever. We know this because years ago scientists conducted an experiment. They put a chimp into a room having attached a bunch of bananas to the ceiling. Strewn around the room were several boxes of various sizes. The scientists watched through a window to see how long it would take the chimp to work out to stack up the boxes so that he could build himself a stairway and get the bananas down.

There was no way that the chimp was going to strain himself, physically or mentally. He merely grabbed the window pole and hooked the bananas down.

And so it was, at Rio Zoo, that I saw a chimp display an example of intelligence, albeit a tetchy one.

Dianna and I had wandered around the zoo admiring the lions and tigers, giraffes and elephants and so on when we came across the chimpanzee compound.

There were three high walls to the compound and a chimp could be seen at the back sitting in the shade. Then a group of school children about eight or nine years old, obviously on a school outing, arrived.

Separating us and the chimp was a high, diamond mesh fence and beyond that a moat.

Suddenly, the children began making loud monkey noises and scratching their armpits. The chimp looked at the children wearily and slowly began to walk towards them, dragging his hands along the ground. This merely encouraged the children to increase the noise and scratching.

What they didn't see was that the chimp had scooped up handfuls of moist mud. When he got as near as he could he stood upright, screeched and grinned at the same time and hurled the mud at the children. When it hit the fencing it broke into a million little pellets and showered the children who ran off squealing and laughing."

Source

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:09 PM

    Hi Judie,

    Yes, I like chimpanzees too! However, I write my humorous blogs to earn money. I am pleased you used my piece but ask your followers to visit my blogsite and click on an advertisement if they like my blogs. It doesn't cost you anything. I never write anything viscious or nasty.
    By the way, when I was at school, many years ago, I read an article in The Times by Desmond Morris about the facial expressions of chimpanzees. Accompanying drawings illustrated the expressions. I put a poster up with these drawings and labelled them with the teacher's name I thought most accurately fitted the characteristic. I got a detention!
    Rick Crowe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rick;
    Your story made me laugh, thank you for sharing that with all of the readers here at the Chimp Chat. It's ashame they couldn't see the funny, educational value in your project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Hi Judie,
    Thanks for your comments.
    I am from Kentucky originally but have lived in England since I was a boy. Now I live in Rio de Janeiro though I am in England at the moment to sort out some legal stuff. I can't wait to get back to Rio and my partner Dianna. The UK is an island. If I don't get out soon I think the whole place will sink!
    Encourage your readers to visit my blog and click on an advertisement because I need the money!!
    If I won the lottery I would build a school in Rio for the street kids and teach them English .... and how to treat animals.
    Bests,
    Rick Crowe
    www.rickcrowe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete