The Little Rock Zoo

.The Little Rock Zoo needs to step up and care for the animals better! Please read the several artciles here with deaths, sickness and a bald chimp!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rory Coleman is Running a 160 Mile Run to Benefit The Gorillas

  • [thumbnail]

A man dressed as a gorilla is in the middle of 160 mile run from Nottinghamshire to London, which he hopes to complete by Saturday.

Rory Coleman, 47, has undertaken the challenge, which is the equivalent of more than a marathon a day, to raise funds and awareness for the Gorilla Organization.

Just 15 years ago, Rory, now a seasoned ultra-marathon runner, was an overweight alcoholic, smoking 40 cigarettes a day.

After his doctor warned him that he might not reach the age of 40 if he didn't change his lifestyle, he started training, and within three months he had completed his first half-marathon.

Since then he has run more than 625 marathons and 150 ultra-marathons now works as a personal trainer and life coach, as well as undertaking extreme physical challenges for charity.

He aims to reach London in time to take part in the Great Gorilla Run on Saturday, a 7km race involving more than 600 runners dressed as gorillas.

The event, now in its seventh year, raises money for community projects in areas of vulnerable gorilla habitat in Africa.

Speaking during his run earlier today, Rory, from Nottinghamshire, said: "In about two or three hours I'll be half way. I've just passed the A526 on my way to Newton Pagnell.

"I'm feeling OK - I'm no stranger to these runs, but this is the first time I've run in a gorilla costume and it's like wearing a gas mask in a sauna! It's so hot today.

"It's weird because after about an hour of running I forget I'm wearing the suit and my world is just seen through two cut outs in a gorilla head.

"My arms hurt the most from waving to everyone. So many people stop and wave, or bring their children out to see me. One little lad ran up to me the other day with his arms spread wide - he just wanted a hug from a gorilla.

"I have also been scaring a few people too - quite a few have jumped out of their skin when they've seen me run past them.

"Lots of people have been going to my website, seeing what I'm up to and donating to the Gorilla Organization, which is fantastic.

"I'm really hoping this will raise awareness of the charity - there are only 700 mountain gorillas left in the wild and we're just eating away at their habitat. I wanted to do something positive to help.

"And I love a challenge. Today is my 628th marathon. I've been doing about one a week for the past 15 years - it's just so exhilarating.

"Often people from a background of addiction look to replace whatever they've been addicted to with something else, and for me that has been running. I want to inspire people - if I can do this I'm damn sure others can too!"

Rory's gorilla run started on Tuesday midday from the Go Ape High Wire Activity Centre in Sherwood Pines to Long Eaton. Since then he has run through Derbyshire, Leicester, Northampton and Milton Keynes. On Friday he will pass through Go Ape at Woburn, and end his run in London.

On Saturday morning Rory will fire the starting gun at the Great Gorilla Run, with Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton.

To sponsor Rory go to www.greatgorillas.org and click on the story about him in the News Feed.

The Gorilla Organization works internationally to save the world's last remaining gorillas from extinction by supporting long-term economic development and conservation projects in the poor communities surrounding the gorilla habitat.

For more information about the Gorilla Organization visit www.gorillas.org.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment