The Little Rock Zoo

.The Little Rock Zoo needs to step up and care for the animals better! Please read the several artciles here with deaths, sickness and a bald chimp!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Armini The Monkey Gets His Own Song-Elyse Gazewitz

Though this is an old article, I think this is an important issue and one that belongs in the Simian Library.

Story-

Armani the Monkey Gets His Own Song

June 28, 2007 - 2:35pm
(Photo courtesy of Armani's Wish)

Kate Ryan, WTOP Radio

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- John Dever isn't a professional musician.

He's an accountant. And an animal lover.

Dever has a soft spot for Armani, the Montgomery County monkey in the middle of a legal dispute between his owner Elyse Gazewitz and county officials.

Armani was taken from Gazewitz after a neighbor reported her having a monkey. The county maintains Gazewitz had the monkey illegally, but Gazewitz argues she has a right to the animal.

Dever, who works in Reston, heard about Armani the monkey on WTOP and wondered if there could be an exception to the rule.

"Isn't there some way we can work this out so the lady can keep the monkey?"

He checked out Armani's Web site and saw all the pleas to let Armani go home, and it hit him.

"Something just popped into my head about ' I want to go home'," he says.

So the Beach Boys' "Sloop John B" became "Sloop Armani."

His ultimate hope is that Armani can be back with his owner, because according to Dever, it just seems like the right thing.

Sloop Armani Lyrics

We lived in Rockville, Md. My mom Elyse and me Around the house we do roam Playing all night, life was so right I feel so lonely, I want go to home

So why not do the right thing See how compassion feels Don't let them keep me behind bars Let me go home, let me go home I want to go home, why won't they let me go home? Well I feel so lonely, I want to go home

Animal control said my care was good Elyse did all that she could Still the county came and took me away No criminal tone, why don't they leave me alone? Well I feel so lonely, I want to go home

My mommy she is so sad I am all that she had But still they ripped me from her arms Let me go home, why won't they let me go home? This is the worst thing since I've been born

So why not do the right thing See how compassion feels Don't let them keep me behind bars Let me go home, let me go home I want to go home, why won't they let me go home? I'm lonely Armani, I want to go home

Dever says he also thought about the "Day-O" (the Banana Boat song) by Harry Belafonte, but had a tougher time coming up with those lyrics.

Day-O

Free me My name's Armani and me wan' go home Free me, Free me My name's Armani and me wan' go home

Don't like it here in this zoo Daylight come and me wan' go home I want my bed and my teddy too Daylight come and me wan' go home

Come, Mister County man, won't you release me Daylight come and me wan' go home Come, Mister County man, won't your release me Daylight come and me wan' go home

Want to sit and watch TV Daylight come and me wan' go home On the couch, Elyse and me Daylight come and me wan' go home

Free me, Free me Daylight come and me wan' go home Day, me say day, me say day, me say day Daylight come and me wan' go home

Show compassion, show some love Daylight come and me wan' go home Maybe amnesty from the Gov Daylight come and me wan' go home Want to be with my mom, Elyse Daylight come and me wan' go home Let us live out lives in peace Daylight come and me wan' go home Day, me say day-ay-ay-o Daylight come and me wan' go home Day, me say day, me say day, me say day Daylight come and me wan' go home

Come, Mister County man, won't you free me Daylight come and me wan' go home Come, Mister County man, won't you free me Daylight come and me wan' go home Day-o, day-ay-ay-o Daylight come and me wan' go home Day, me say day, me say day, me say day....ay-ay-o Daylight come and me wan' go home

His ultimate hope is that Armani can be back with his owner, because according to Dever, it just seems like the right thing.

Armani's Owner Will Fight for Monkey

Elyse Gazewitz insists the county made a mistake when it took away her Capuchin monkey. The Montgomery County Animal Matters Board on Tuesday denied her request to get the monkey back.

The board backed the county's decision to seize Armani, saying Gazewitz was in violation of the state's exotic animal law. But Gazewitz says she was charged with violating the county code that deals with wild animals, not the state's exotic animal law.

Source and Finale

No comments:

Post a Comment